Reviews & Feature Requests

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Hello!

It's important for me to hear your feedback here.

You may include comments and feature requests as well.

Sergey.

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Edited Jun 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Hey Sergey,

Here's an addition to your application:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2457777/shared/DropBoxLinker.zip (that's the source code)

I've added two things:

1) The application now monitors subfolders of the Public folder;

2) At first launch, it detects Dropbox user folder automatically, saving the user a few clicks.

Yuriy

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Юрий, that's a very good addition to the project! I had no idea that the Public folder path is stored there (almost) unencrypted.

Don't you oppose including that two fixes in the next version of the project?

Сергей.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Рад помочь :)

I of course have no objections to add this into the next release.

Also, please be aware that there's a small bug in the current version - the URLs are somewhat malformed, for example, if the file or folder name contains a space, it will not be escaped so the URL will be incorrect. Same goes for non-English characters.

There's two methods of resolving this. Simplest is to add reference to System.Web and use HttpUtility.UrlEncode method. However, this will lead changing the target framework from .net 4 client profile to complete .NET Framework (and I think that sucks).

Another approach would be to use a simple regex given here. Only thing that should be changed is to not escape the slashes as those really shouldn't be converted to %2F  in our case.

Yuriy

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Yes, I've already seen that copying non-Latin named files resulted in invalid symbols in URLs. However, the browser (Chrome, but I haven't tested the others) correctly encoded this symbols by himself, when I opened the link. But of course, the issue exists and the links would be broken down if they contained spaces, for example.

I've looked through the URL conversion methods and implemented my version, that I'll include into the next release together with automatic folder detection.

P.S. As I understand, 'host.db' contains two lines of Base64-encoded data. The last is the public path. But what could mean the first? It contains of 30 bytes and returned me something like "og:{×4çZ}î›y§x÷n|·x......" (the tail is hidden for security reasons). It seems not to be a String, but some kind of digital data — 240-bit RSA-encrypted UserID (encrypted with config.db RSA public key)? SHA would have taken 160/224/256/384/512 bits, MD5 — 128 bits, not 240.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Ver 1.3 doesn't seem to work when saving to public folder straight from Windows 7 Snipping Tool program. Saving a single file creates 2 "Copied to clipboard" messages and 1 "Removed from clipboard" message.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Zeeu wrote:

Ver 1.3 doesn't seem to work when saving to public folder straight from Windows 7 Snipping Tool program. Saving a single file creates 2 "Copied to clipboard" messages and 1 "Removed from clipboard" message.

Sorry for long delay with the answer.

I've also seen such a behavior. However, this only depends on program algorithms of file access (here we have the Snipping Tool) and .NET processing. DropBox Linker is only listening to the generated file system events (file created / modified / deleted). That's why I suppose that it is the program's bug / feature to save file with a number of file operations (which are not seen to the 'naked' eye).

I've already thought about a probable solution for such cases. For instance, it is possible to have some minimum time delay between 'normal' operations with a single file. However, this may cause other problems. For instance, the similar automated operations will not be processed.